Sleeping hot (also often referred to as “night sweats”) is both uncomfortable and detrimental to restorative sleep. You slip into a cool and comfortable bed, get cozy, and drift off. A few hours later, you wake up shivering in a pool of moisture. The only hopes of getting back to sleep are to find a dry spot or move to another location.
One of the biggest misconceptions we hear at Hippo Hug about weighted blankets is that they are not ideal for those who sleep hot at night. While this may be true about other companies, this is not true for Hippo Hug’s custom designs.
Our weighted blankets are different.
We sew our blankets using far less fabric than other companies, some of which pile on as many as eight layers. Often the fabric being used is not breathable, but is the only type that will successfully hold the loose filling they use, for example, poly pellets, glass beads and sand. This leads to a big and bulky blanket that is hard to move around, and even harder to clean and store properly.
At Hippo Hug, we use two layers of batting that is an 80% cotton and a 20% polyester blend to help keep your weights in place. Many other companies use pure polyester, which does not allow for air flow at all.
We have hundreds of fabrics to choose from to suit any type of sleeper and match any kind of décor. For those who sleep hot, we recommend choosing cotton for the top and bottom fabrics, as it is the most breathable. Natural materials like cotton don’t trap body heat. Our competitors offer only one choice, which means that not only is it likely that your blanket will be too warm if you sleep hot, it will stick out like a sore thumb in your bedroom. Our weighted blankets are made to fit seamlessly into your life, and also to maintain the lowest profile possible.
If you would like to use a fabric that we don’t have in stock, we can easily accommodate your preference. If your fabric of choosing is not quite durable enough as is, we can double quilt it using one of our fabrics underneath to increase its overall strength and increase your blanket’s lifespan. We work with you to give you your ideal weighted blanket.
Cool it Down!
Another way we are different at Hippo Hug is our use of a proprietary weighting system, which consists of specialized ceramic discs that keep our blankets nice and flat (and easily foldable), and looking just like a beautiful handmade quilt that was made with love (which it was!). The best part about our weighting system is that the discs can be cooled. If you tend to sleep hot, you can put your blanket in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes before going to bed (we suggest from 15 to 30 minutes). The discs will retain the cooler temperature to help keep your body temperature down and ease you off into a restful sleep.
Some resources pointing to the importance of lowering your body temperature in order to sleep are:
- Thermoregulation During Sleep from Tuck.com
- What Happens to Your Body When You Sleep from WebMD
- Does Your Body Temperature Change While You Sleep? from Sleep.org
- Sleeping When it is Blistering Hot from the National Sleep Foundation
Other Ways to Keep Cooler at Night
Sleeping hot can ruin sheets and bedding, and make it very hard to rest with your loved one. Ways you can keep yourself at a more comfortable temperature include:
- Choosing pure cotton sheets with a lower thread count. The higher the thread count, the higher the density, and hence, the higher the insulation.
- Trying a “cool pillow.” Certain varieties of pillows come with a layer of cooling gel to help draw heat away from your head (the hottest part of your body).
- Forgoing the memory foam mattress. Although they are economical – and comfortable – memory foam mattresses do not disperse heat in the same way that regular mattresses do.
- Avoiding down comforters. Although they are cozy, down comforters insulate completely, and don’t allow for air circulation.
- Trying a lightweight material that also absorbs moisture for your night clothing or PJs, such as bamboo, linen, and lightweight cotton.
- Installing a ceiling fan so there is a constant movement of air in your bedroom. Plus, they’re great for hot summer nights!
- Lowering the temperature in your bedroom to 19 degrees Celsius.
We’re Here to Give You the Hug You Deserve
Our blankets are hand crafted by skilled artisans, and we are proud to say we have earned the “Made in Canada” moniker. We make our blankets to last, and the first batch we created in 2011 is still going strong and looking almost new. For customers who would like a refresh, we offer a service to recover blankets with new fabrics.
Because we know that a weighted blanket is a personal choice, we have created a unique Try Before You Buy program so you can be absolutely sure you are making the right choice for the size and weight of your blanket. You are unique and your weighted blanket should reflect that, at Hippo Hug we don’t believe in one size fits all which is why we have the largest variety of sizes and weights of any weighted blanket manufacturer on the market.
Still not convinced? See our Top 10 Reasons to Choose a Hippo Hug Weighted Blanket for more details as to why our high-quality weighted blankets are the best available.