It’s very sad to us at Hippo Hug that a lot of people will forego a much-needed vacation because of a fear of flying. There are many who are literally “grounded” in their hometown and are not getting the rest and relaxation they so deserve.
The use of a weighted blanket for flying is an option for nervous travellers. Weighted blankets work by applying what is known as deep pressure touch stimulation, which is a firm, but gentle, and even weight on the body that provides both physical and psychological benefits. Think of a weighted blanket in the same way as you think of a massage. The pressure and touch results in a comforting and reassuring feeling. We all love to be held … it just feels good! A weighted blanket is like a long, warm embrace that only ends when you want it to, putting you in exactly the right frame of mind to push away stress and welcome relaxation.
Deep pressure touch stimulation causes your brain to switch from the sympathetic nervous system to the parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system leaps into action in stressful situations, such as navigating complicated airports, boarding airplanes, and the unnerving process of taking off and landing. A weighted blanket stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system into action, which causes heart rates to go down, muscles to begin to relax, and circulation to improve. Good circulation is imperative for air travel, as there is always a risk of blood clots from sitting and remain still for such long periods of time.
The parasympathetic nervous system triggers the production of endorphins, which are “feel good” hormones, and simultaneously will be the release of dopamine and serotonin, assisting with calming.
Travelling With Your Weighted Blanket
- Take your weighted item as a comfort carry on, rather than in your checked baggage. This way it does not affect your luggage allowance, and if questioned you can explain that it is a comfort item. A note from your doctor may help as well. This also allows you to use your blanket during the flight
- Your weighted blanket will be scanned by security, and they may have some questions, so don’t be surprised. You can explain that it is a weighted blanket and the filling is metal disks encased in a ceramic coating. It might help to have a business card if they have further questions, but we have had many people report they travel with their weighted items without issue.
- If you have any concerns before travelling we are able to provide a letter stating the composition of the blanket signed by our president and on company letterhead.
- If you experience success with alleviation of your symptoms through the use of a weighted blanket be sure to let us and the airline know. Wouldn’t it be great to have them already on the plan so you don’t have to worry about bringing it with you?
- Airplanes are often rather cold, which is another good reason to bring along your weighted blanket. Once you have found your seat, drape yourself in your Hippo Hug, open your mind, and allow its benefits to begin to penetrate your body and mind.
Weighted Lap Pads for Travelling
Weighted blankets for flying are one way to make sure you manage to get out of the city when you need to. Another option is our weighted lap pads. We designed our lap pads specifically to be portable, and you can order yours to have a pocket if you like. Slip your hands in your pocket to conceal fidgeting, and also store your books, electronics, and anything you need to have handy.
Weighted lap pads are also very useful as a meditation tool, which is another effective way to induce a calm state of mind. The best thing about meditation is that it can be done practically anywhere as well.
Get a Good Night’s Sleep When on the Road
Another great thing about bringing a weighted blanket along with you on your travels is because they help facilitate a good night’s sleep. It’s often very difficult to fall asleep (and stay asleep) when you are in a strange home or hotel. Our weighted blankets for flying are like a warm hug from home. Completely customizable, you can have yours made with a cuddly fabric that is far more comfortable than your average hotel duvet. Its familiar scent will also bring up memories of your home and your own bed, so you can properly fall asleep, rest, and thoroughly enjoy every moment of your vacation.
More Tips to Get Away Faster!
The Anxiety and Depression Society of America (ADAA) provides a great resource for those who experience anxiety and nervousness when flying. Flying is considered to be quite safe, even more safe than driving. But that knowledge is not enough to quell fears. Simple reason can’t stop a phobia.
ADAA advises to begin try to understand your triggers first of all. Once you know what will set off your anxiety you can learn how to desensitize yourself to them. Don’t try to avoid them altogether though, this is impossible and leaves you open to continued anxiety.
Many worry they will collapse into a full-blown panic while flying, which is enough to stop them from doing it at all. This is called “anticipatory anxiety,” and treatment can include cognitive therapy. Parts of personal training may involve learning to control your breathing, and, again, forms of meditation. Education about the mechanics of flying can be useful as well. Knowing what is happening at all times can go a long way towards keeping yourself calm.
Hippo Hug Weighted Blankets for Flying and Many Other Uses
Still have questions about the use of a weighted blanket? Have a look at our frequently asked questions.
Choosing the right size and weight of your blanket is personal, and we can help. Most research indicates that 5 to 15% of body weight is the universally agreed upon range for a weighted blanket, however we find most people prefer to use blankets on the heavier side. We have several different types of blankets in stock if you would like to borrow one to try out. We want to make sure you get the perfect blanket for you and we have expert staff ready to help. Contact us for more information!